Sometimes, the hardest thing is just getting started. You need a spark to get things rolling. Here are 12 compelling writing prompts to help trigger memories, emotions, and experiences that make you realize—if you don’t already—you really must write your memoir. Keep in mind that for each of these, there might be multiple instances; list them all at the different stages throughout your life.
- A Turning Point: Describe a moment in your life when everything changed. What led up to it, and how did it impact your future?
- Influential Relationships: Write about a person who had a significant impact on your life, whether positively or negatively. How did this relationship shape who you are today?
- Childhood Home: Take a virtual tour of your childhood home, room by room. Describe the memories associated with each space and how they contributed to your upbringing.
- Life’s Milestones: Reflect on significant milestones such as graduations, weddings, or the birth of a child. How did these events shape your identity or perspective?
- Unforgettable Travel Experience: Share a vivid memory from a trip or journey that left a lasting impression on you. What did you learn or discover during this adventure?
- Challenges and Triumphs: Write about a specific challenge or adversity you faced in your life. How did you overcome it, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Hobbies and Passions: Explore a hobby or passion that has played a significant role in your life. How did you discover it, and what fulfillment has it brought you?
- Family Traditions: Describe a cherished family tradition or ritual. How does it bring your family together, and what does it mean to you?
- Defining Moments in Your Career: Share a story from your professional life that had a profound impact on your career choices or personal development.
- Crossroads and Decisions: Write about when you had to make a tough decision. What factors influenced your choice, and what were the consequences?
- Memorable Celebrations: Recall an unforgettable celebration, holiday, or event from your past. What made it special, and what emotions did it evoke?
- Lessons from Loss: Reflect on the loss of a loved one or a significant life change. How did you cope with the grief or transition, and what did you learn about yourself in the process?
These prompts can serve as starting points to tap your life experiences. Use them as an impetus; extract the memories and emotions and enrich your memoir. Remember to write with honesty and depth to create a compelling narrative.
# # #
Need some help to get started? Or do you want to talk with an experienced writer about where you’re at in writing your memoir?